Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Do it, don't say it.

I've been blessed to have been traveling for a while and taking pictures of myself at airports for a Facebook group I'm in - Facebookers at the Airport, any airport.

This is a recent pic I took at Washington Dulles International Airport on my way home from San Francisco.



No it wasn't really a great day to be flying. I was tired. I had a 24 hour turn-around. I wished I had give up my seat in an overbooked red-eye flight. I sat in the middle of a 5-seat row. My head-phone jack was faulty which meant watching Hairspray in silence. I was just spent getting into Washington at 6 am.

So once again, no it wasn't a great day to fly. Sorry Ted/United. It just wasn't.

While what I experienced is part and parcel of air-travel today, I can't help but wonder why Ted/United would think it was a great day to fly? Is it because they said so? Is it because they put a little sign thingy that suggested just that? Oh wait... it has to be the bright yellow that makes you feel happy... no wait, that yellow and blue is Ted's colors isn't it?

Here's what I think... how about some coffee at the airport next to that pretty sign? It costs you next to nothing and you probably dump more of it into the trash on every flight. How about a United TV channel so we get more choice beyond the CNN Airport feed. How about ... I dunno more cheap stuff to alleviate the stress of air travel that truly makes it a great day to fly...

... and which cumulatively might be cheaper than producing such a uselessly thick duty-free catalogue for even a 1 hour flight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I can relate. Delta has these ADs boasting things like "stop rushing just to wait" and lots of other things that they are improving. But I was flying Delta before the AD campaign and after the AD campaign, and nothing has changed that the end user sees. Why make an AD campaign if you're not actually going to change anything? It just makes me feel insulted.

Unknown said...

Your public demands more blog entries! We'll take anything. We'll even listen to you talk about Britney and whether you think she'll ever come back from this downturn.